Sammy B’s/Figilo’s on the Row

26 Music Square East – Music Row, built circa 1906

Photo: Jodi Totten
Photo: Jodi Totten
Photo: Jodi Totten
Photo: Jodi Totten

Located at the heart of Music Row, this two-story brick building has housed was constructed as a private residence around 1906.  Since 1960, it has housed numerous music industry businesses such as Gold Standard Records, Gra-Mar Talent Agency, Brite-Star Promotions, Happy Wilson, Zeke Clements, and Howard-Stone Publishing.  Gra-Mar was operated by Billy Grammer and Barbara Martin, who was one of the first female executives on Music Row.  In 1965, Billboard magazine opened its first Nashville branch office here.  In 1980, the building was renovated for use as a tavern called BJ’s Pour House.  Later it was home to Tavern on the Row, Toucan restaurant, Sammy B’s, and Figilio’s on the Row.  These bars and restaurants were very popular with music industry executives, entertainers, songwriters, recording artists, etc.  The building was known as a significant gathering place on Music Row.  In 1988, Warner Brothers Records purchased the building, which has stood vacant since 2010.  The 110-year old building has been determined to be eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.  Members of the Music Row community are concerned that the rapidly deteriorating building will be demolished as part of a redevelopment project.

Support Historic Nashville

Your support helps Historic Nashville, Inc. preserve Nashville and Davidson County's historic places.

Get Involved

© Copyright 2019 , Historic Nashville Inc. All Rights Reserved. Design & Development by NSFS.