RCA Studio A

30 MUSIC SQUARE WEST, BUILT IN 1964

RCAStudioA

Photo: Stephanie Saujon

Located in the heart of Music Row, this legendary recording studio was constructed by Chet Atkins and Owen Bradley adjacent to RCA Studio B, which opened in 1957. The Mid-Century Modern studio and office building became a destination for musicians from both the country and pop music industries and the building played a vital role in the development of the renowned Nashville Sound of the 1960s. In the past 50 years, countless artists of a variety of genres have recorded hits in RCA Studio A, which is the only remaining active studio of four RCA studio spaces designed by Bill Putnam, the “father of modern recording.” The building was recently sold to a developer, and a demolition permit has been filed. If executed, this building will remain standing for less than 90 days. On Sept. 19, a plan was released that showed luxury condominiums and a restaurant taking Studio A’s place on Music Row.

Support Historic Nashville

Your support helps Historic Nashville, Inc. preserve Nashville and Davidson County's historic places.

Get Involved

© Copyright 2017 , Historic Nashville Inc. All Rights Reserved. Design & Development by NSFS.